When it comes to the Chinese New Year festive season, the first thing that comes to mind is mom’s home-cooked delights. While we drool at the thought of dishes from grandma’s old recipe book, rice is a necessity, and pairs perfectly with all sorts of flavours!
By the way, did you know that…
- The reunion dinner symbolises people’s wishes for a better future
- Rice depicts prosperity and fertility in the 12 Symbols of Sovereignty
- Symbolises that the emperor is the pillar for the people, as how the father is the head of the house
- Rice has a big part in CNY dishes such as nian gao (consumed in the hope of a better harvest and a higher status in the New Year) and rice dumplings (made on the 15th night of the New Year, in the hope that everything you wished for will turn out well).
* Article courtesy of Tefal.[SHAPE.com]
Impress your mum / mum-in-law with these easy peasy rice recipes:
Smoked tofu fried rice recipe
Chef Meg’s better-than-takeout- chicken-fried rice
Basmati rice pudding with oranges